Wednesday, October 20, 2010

ram dass ii: this time it's serious

Our adventures in world literature have taught me a significant amount about listening. Between our meditation activities and also the many discussions we’ve had during class, it has always been emphasized that we should listen to those around us more carefully. To limit ourselves to only our own solutions to problems forecloses the opportunity to benefit from the wisdom of one’s peers. There have been many times in the past two months that I’ve benefited greatly from the thoughts shared to me by my friends in Austin. Ram Dass puts it best when he says that, “as we listen with a quiet mind, there is so much we hear” (111). Ram Dass also believes that we should be attentive to the thoughts and emotions of others around us. The best way to confront suffering is to reveal an honest portrayal of the phenomenon.

i learned how to listen to others


I have been exposed to a greater sense of community since I have arrived in Austin, as well. Living in the dorm, I have found myself more dependent on others for my daily necessities than I have ever previously encountered. Countless times I have failed to purchase flash drives, gotten horrendously sick on Thursday nights, and squandered hours at the bowling alley. Nevertheless, the bonds of friendship that I have formed have helped me persevere. Truly “intimacy is what we're looking for, and it's often there to be found in a helping relationship” (126). Encountering these new relationships has presented realizations about my relationship with my own suffering. Rather than deny that I am in need of assistance, I should refrain from hiding behind “false facades of courage or self-sufficiency” and instead take a more humble posture (136). After all, I have willingly bailed my friends out of their awful decisions many times myself.

sometimes i was sick on friday mornings

No comments:

Post a Comment